Sustainability is a buzzword in all aspects of life right now. Lets face it, we could all do with being a little more eco-friendly. Not just to make ourselves feel better, but because it’s the right thing to do for the future of our planet and humankind. As a lover of beauty, I’m becoming increasingly aware of how my beauty consumption is impacting the very world we live in.
The state of our oceans and the amount of plastic littering them is dire. The horrible truth is a lot of what we think is recyclable isn’t, and a large portion of what we think is being recycled ends up in landfill. A lot of the products we use for our makeup and skincare routines contributes to this, but there are small changes we can make to limit our plastic usage and shop more consciously when it comes to our beauty consumption:
– Reusable cotton pads – organic cotton pads are better for the environment and a great switch to make, alternatively try ditching the cotton pads completely and using a washable makeup removal pad like the Face Halo.
– Naked shampoo bars – shampoo bars at Lush come wrapped in recyclable paper and are made using ingredients that won’t harm the environment when they wash down the drain.
– Biodegradable face wipes – remove your makeup more consciously and use face wipes that will break down and compost, and not stay stuck around damaging the environment for years.
– Bamboo hair/tooth brushes – switching to a wooden hair/toothbrush instead of a plastic one is an incredibly friendly eco-alternative, bamboo for example is compostable and biodegradable.
– Refillable products – to limit the amount of packaging you buy/consume look to products that are refillable.
– Recycle your empty packaging in-store – MAC, Lush, and L’Occitane are just a few brands that offer customers incentives (discounts/free products) for returning empty packaging to them in-store so they ca recycle it properly on your behalf. Take full advantage!
These are just a few things I can think of that will help reduce my use of harmful beauty products in my makeup and skincare routines, if you can think of anymore let me know in the comments section below!